Monday, February 22, 2016

Imaged Based Story Project

The script for my Imaged Based Story Project comes from an experience I had as a child getting lost in an amusement park. I loved putting this project together. For both this and the animated story project one thing I had a difficult time figuring out was how to go back and edit just one slide at a time. I assume there is a way to do this but I could not figure it out. Imaged Based story would be a great way for my students to write personal narratives. I used the Shadow Puppet app. I think this tool lends itself to personalizing a story a bit more than the animated story apps do. Hope you enjoy my story. There is a link for my script but I have also copied it and pasted it below. Alone In Arnold’s Park Slide 1 (family photo) Anticipation filled me from head to toe as we stood at the entrance of Arnold’s Park on this late summer afternoon. Slide 2 (park entrance) This would be my first trip to an amusement park and as a ten year old I was in heaven. Dad handed the attendant fifty dollars, enough for myself, my brother Troy, Mom and himself and we walked through the entrance. I could hardly contain myself as I took in the warm and sunny, summer sky and stared at the midway in front of me. Slide 3 (roller coaster) As we walked past a cluster of rose bushes I stopped in my tracks as the rumble of cars twisting and turning through a rickety wooden track faded out all other auditory stimulus and took on center stage for my senses. I had never seen a roller coaster. Tilting my head upward towards the heavens, I gazed at the peak of the mighty wooden track. “Oh my gosh!’ I whispered to myself. A wide smile brimmed across my face from ear to ear as I imagined what it would feel like to take my turn on this fascinating ride. I’m not sure how long I gazed upward. It couldn’t have been more than thirty seconds, but when I looked back down my family was gone. Suddenly my mood swung from excitement to sheer panic. What seemed like a small gathering of people now resembled a sea of humanity as I turned in every direction in an attempt to locate my family. They were nowhere to be found. I should have found a park employee to help me but I was too frightened to ask for help from someone I did not know. My heart began to race and my throat became dry. I decided that all I could do now was scour the park from top to bottom if I wanted to reunite with my family. Slide 4 (bumper boats) I walked around the roller coaster to the bumper boats. No sign of Mom, Dad and Troy here. “What if I never find them?” I whispered to myself nervously. Slide 5: (carousel) I rushed to the sound of the music coming from the carousel walking around the circle of horses three times but still no luck. Slide 6: (train) The shrill sound of the train horn rang through my ears as I continued to skitter through the park in a frantic attempt to find my family, but they were not on the train. “What ride could they be on?” I kept asking myself. I never even thought that they were as frantic as I was and like me they were also searching. Slide 7: (ferris wheel) I continued to scurry through the park as fear rushed through me like an electric shock. By now darkness was beginning to settle in as I investigated the crowd of people waiting in line for the ferris wheel. I waited for each car to empty before rushing on to the next attraction. Slide 8 (food stand) The smell of corn dogs penetrated my nostrils as I checked the food court area. My tummy was grumbling, but the last thing I could think about was satisfying my hunger. I continued past the arcade and water slide and then it finally occurred to me. Slide 9 (parking lot) “If I go to the parking lot and wait by our car, I will find them sooner or later. Eventually they will have to come out to the car”. I convinced myself. I waited and waited for what seemed like hours. I scanned every silhouette that walked through the gate leading from the entrance into the dark parking lot. Finally I spotted Mom, Dad and Troy walking under the neon sign that read “Arnold’s Park”. Slide 10 (family photo) A wave of relief shot through my body as I sprinted towards my family and jumped into my mom’s waiting arms. “I told you that he was smart enough to go and wait by our car.” Mom said to Dad. The whole ordeal lasted only a few short hours but it seemed like an eternity. Although we didn’t spend an enjoyable evening at an amusement park, the outcome was fine. https://docs.google.com/document/d/158BWjDEex2Xqq0aQHRO0S1S2uK7TZlPAA3k0iI3S-kg/edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1bfAsGqgE

2 comments:

  1. Great sharing! I'm glad you enjoyed doing this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small suggestion - the link you shared can be shortened down to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1bfAsGqgE
    The rest isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete